Here's what you do:

1. Email Nancy if you would like to be a contributor.

2. Share a Family Home Evening lesson idea. It can be about any gospel principle or topic.

3. It is not necessary, but you can also include a song, scripture, activity, and treat that go along with the lesson.

4. Add a label to your post including the "age range" your lesson applies to and the "gospel principle" you are teaching.

5. Email Nancy if you have any questions, comments, or ideas for this blog.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Family Scripture Study

How do you study the scriptures with your family? I got this idea from one of my meetings:

Have your child repeat a verse back to you, one small phrase at a time. Our family scripture reading consists of just 10 verses (I know, we're wimps! But hey, we're consistent, so that should count for something, right?). Randy and I take turns reading a verse at a time. We let Andrew repeat back two of the verses and then we'll usually paraphrase what we just read. We're usually done in about 5 minutes, which is usually all Andrew will sit for.

One more thing, in this month's Friend, there's a reading program to finish the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. There's two versions (one for the older kids & adults where you read the entire book and one for the younger kids where you read selected chapters). We decided to do the "younger ages" version. Again, I know we are wimps, but it helps because it's easier to paraphrase.

I would love to hear what you do with your family....

3 comments:

Annette said...

In the past we have just been using the "scripture stories" that is put out by the distribution center.

You aren't as wimpy as you think.

It has been a goal of mine to work in reading out of the actual scriptures after Kaylie said to me one night as I was using them in a FHE... "mom it isn't sunday" ...oops I guess I'm in trouble.

Holly O. said...

I found you through a friend's blog. Ummm, this is a FANTASTIC idea for a blog! I can't wait to see what everyone has to say! And I am the worst with most of this stuff, my kids are 2 and 6 months. So far, everything we try just seems to frustrate us all!

Kendra said...

We have tried all sorts of differe3nt things, but lately we've found something that works for us. We do the whole night routine with the kids, family prayer and all. Then we put the kids in their beds and we turn out the lights, except in the hall. Then we sit in the hallway and read about a page from the BOM. We answer any questions from the kids, and then we do personal prayer and songs with each kid. Last, lights out. It seems to be working at the moment.